Labels

Tuesday 24 January 2017

7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Preliminary Video: 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J28XtqpaNpM
Final Video: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmFFS8x2HFQ

Overall, comparing the two videos that I was part of creating I can automatically see both similarities and differences with both. The reason the final video is different is because I was able to learn a few things from the preliminary task that helped in the adaptation of what I did for the final video to make it better.


Camera Equipment: 

The equipment that was used was a Tripod and Camera

The first thing learnt from the preliminary task was about using the equipment. The set up of the equipment took longer than anticipated. 


Initially we needed to get used to the equipment we were using. This took a while for us and caused problems for the filming we were wanting to get done at the beginning. This was in order to stay on track and affected the rest of the filming time we had as a group and the editing time was therefore compromised. 

The main thing that I learnt from this was the idea behind the use of the camera that I was using. The reason for this is that each camera worked differently and that if I was going to be taking it home to use then I was not going to have any one to ask questions to about the camera.

By asking questions before it meant that the time I was using it didn't get affected as if a problem was to occur with the camera then I had a better chance of figuring out how to fix it. This meant that also when I had got the camera I could use the whole time to film, rather than having to teach myself how to use the equipment as the time you have to film is very valuable and you have little of it.

Location: 

Prelim Task Location - Black Studio Room 


Final Video Location - House and Street 

Another thing that I was able to learn from the preliminary task was the idea behind the location. When filming the preliminary task we just picked any room and filmed in there because as a group we just wanted to make sure that we got the task done. 


Advancing on from this in the filming stage of the final video, I knew that the location needed to be put into account and a lot more thought needed to be involved. The reason for this is the location is what makes the whole film feel realistic and makes the whole narrative work. 

For example if the narrative was about a school and then the location of a prison was used, it would confuse the audience and change the whole way that the film is being viewed. For the location I ended up choosing a street that was isolated and gave a sense of suspense. I feel that overall this worked well and fitted with the final video.

Titles: 
A title could of been added at this point but wasn't. 
Final Video Film Title 

Titles have been a big thing that I learnt from the preliminary task, the main thing I learnt from this was the idea that I needed to actually add them into my final video. When creating the preliminary task the idea of including titles was not really a big deal and we did not think much of including them. However in the final video it changes the whole view of it, as it has gone from a thriller to an opening of a thriller with a few added titles. By not including the titles it meant that the final video was already a step ahead of the preliminary task and was at a stage where it automatically looked like an opening sequence. 


Characters/Actors: 
Preliminary task - Characters


Preliminary task - Characters

Final Video - Characters


Final Video - Characters

The next thing that I was able to learn from the preliminary task, is the idea behind the actors that are being used. During the preliminary video, the people in my group all took part and we all had a different role. The reason that we all took part was because it was easier than finding othe
r actors and then everyone got to be apart of the preliminary task with each stage. 


Learning from this it allowed us to gain the knowledge that a lot more thought needed to be taken into account for who was going to represent each character. Instead of just picking someone from my media class I had to think carefully about the different things that needed to be included to make the final video look realistic and more professional.

The actors I ended up going with were a bit older, this meant that the characters looked realistic for their part. As adults they were more likely to be in the situations than a teen, as well as the idea that they had more life experience to help with the acting side of things.

Overall: 
Prelim


Truth

Overall I think that after the creating process of the preliminary task I was able to learn a lot of things, a few of which helped me in the final video.  These things helped me realise what I was going to want to avoid in the end. The few pieces of knowledge that were helpful were; how to use the equipment properly, how to use the editing software and how to get the perfect lighting. 

However the final video was also advanced as I added titles, as there were none in the preliminary video. The actors I used for my final video looked more of the normal age that the person in the situation would be and they looked more realistic compared to the preliminary video. As the character I represented in the preliminary video looked out of place to be using the gun and to actually be a hit man.

No comments:

Post a Comment